Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Baile---shoes and props

Last week we talked about the three core elements of flamenco. This week I will start with dancing first. But before discussing the style of dancing, I want to introduce the dancing shoes and some props which are often used.

Many people ask me about the difference between flamenco and tap dance, and I think the obvious difference is the shoes. The two kinds of dances create different sounds because of the characteristic of the shoes. Flamenco shoes have nails in the sole and heel, but tap dance shoes are made with metal plates in the sole and heel.
See some pictures
Famous flamenco shoes company--Gallardo
I think Gallardo’s shoes are very beautiful, but unfortunately I can’t afford it.

Dancing with castanets, shawls, hats, or fans can make the performance more attractive. I think playing castanets is the most difficult among all the props because I can’t keep my fingers moving quickly and making various rhythms.

This video is from a musical, DON JUAN, which is not a traditional flamenco show, but I like their performance with castanets.

The origin of fans are from china and be combined with flamenco. I like to using fans the most because it can make colorful and splendid effect. Besides, it will be very useful if I feel hot while practicing!!!

See more videos
Dance with fans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg_rJR81d6c&feature=related

3 comments:

  1. I like the colorful Gallardo flamenco shoes, because they look bright. I think the women who dance flamenco are sexy and beautiful, they all keep their body slim. If you practice harder, you will keep your fingers moving quickly and making various rhythms. Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the background music of the video!!! And I think flamenco is so passsionate and sexy. Maybe in the near future, we can saw your own dancing video on your blog! GO GO GO!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Cindy Yeh
    Thanks for your message and encouragement! I will try my best. ^ ^

    To Angela
    I like the music, too. It’s created by Chico Castillo, a creator of Gipsy Fusion Music. If you want to see or hear more, here is another video from “Don Juan.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqLmDVd0YQs&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete